This blackberry basil margarita is my all-time FAVORITE margarita! This is a classic margarita recipe but with the added refreshing flavors of blackberries and a touch of basil. They are such a treat and the perfect start to any weekend!
You start by muddling the blackberries and basil then straining them to remove the seeds and leaves. This extra step is so worth it to not have seeds in your drink. The blackberry and basil flavors go so perfectly together and neither is too overpowering. They are a perfect balance and bring such a refreshing taste to the margaritas.
The key to a really good margarita is quality ingredients. I highly recommend using a 100% agave tequila. Trust me, it makes all the difference! Please don't go near those pre-mixed margaritas that you can buy in a jug.
If you want to make these for a crowd, you can mix all the ingredients together in a pitcher and then shake them one at a time with ice in a cocktail shaker. They are guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser! While you are at it, be sure to serve with my roasted tomato salsa and chips!
I hope you enjoy this perfect summer cocktail. If you try this blackberry basil margarita please let me know what you think in the comments below!
Blackberry Basil Margarita
- lime juice if desired for rimming the glass
- sea salt if desired for rimming the glass
- 5 blackberries
- 3 basil leaves
- 0.5 oz Cointreau
- 2 oz 100% agave tequila
- 1 oz agave syrup
- 1 oz lime juice
- If a salted glass is desired, rim a glass with lime juice then sea salt.
- Using a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon, muddle the berries, basil, and Cointreau in a cup or small bowl.
- Place the muddled berries and basil in a strainer over a small bowl and strain (you may need to use a spoon to push all the liquid through).
- In a cocktail shaker, shake together the liquid from the blackberries and basil along with the tequila, agave syrup, lime juice, and ice until cold.
- Pour into the salted glass with ice. Garnish with any extra basil or blackberries, if desired.
Leave a Reply