A Smoked Old Fashioned is a simple yet festive and fancy whisky cocktail! Made with bourbon, simple syrup, and bitters, along with a cocktail smoking kit, this drink is will make you look like a pro!
- Bourbon: There are only a couple of ingredients in this cocktail so opt for a good quality bourbon whisky since the flavors will really shine through!
- Simple syrup: You can make simple syrup by boiling together equal parts water and sugar.
- Bitters: I use just a few dashes of orange bitters.
- Ice: Ice balls from a large ice mold work great since they won't water down the drink so quickly!
- Garnishes such as a cocktail cherry, dried orange slice, or fresh orange peel. I love how beautiful a dried orange is, but if you are looking for more flavor and scent, opt for a fresh orange peel.
How to smoke an Old Fashioned cocktail
- Add the bourbon, simple syrup, and bitters to a lowball cocktail glass and give it a stir. Add in the ice and any garnishes.
- Using a cocktail smoking kit, cover the glass with the provided lid and wood chips to the top grate.
- Carefully use the smoker to light the chips and let them smoke for about 30-45 seconds.
- Carefully remove the lid from the glass and enjoy!
Cocktail smoking tools
To make a smoked cocktail, you'll want a cocktail smoking kit (a great gift for any mixologist in your life!). You'll need to use wood chips, which the kits often include. For a smoked old fashioned, I like using cherry chips, which are some of the mildest chips. The choice of smoking chip flavor is up to you!
If you give this Smoked Old Fashioned a try, I'd love to hear what you think in the comments below! And a special cheers to my dad, the true mixologist in my life, for teaching me this recipe! Cheers!
Please drink responsibly. Please use caution when using a smoking kit.
Smoked Old Fashioned
- 2 ounces bourbon
- ¾ ounce simple syrup
- 3 dashes orange bitters
- fresh or dried orange slice for garnish, optional
- cocktail cherry for garnish, optional
- Stir the bourbon, simple syrup, and bitters in a lowball cocktail glass. Add in the ice and any garnishes you are using.
- Using a cocktail smoking kit, cover the glass with the provided lid and wood chips to the top grate. Carefully use the smoker to light the chips and let them smoke for about 15 seconds.
- Carefully remove the lid from the glass and serve immediately.