These lemon and garlic smashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for your next meal and your family will be begging for you to make them over and over again.
The potatoes are perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. While they will be looking delicious after 20 minutes of baking, the key is to let them reach their perfect crispyness level. I recommend using mini gold potatoes. Mini red potatoes would work just fine, but I would not use russet or large potatoes. The smallness of the mini golds ensures crispyness.
The lemon garlic parsley sauce is so addicting and the perfect topping. I make it by grating the garlic with a microplane (I love this one), then mixing it with the lemon juice to cut some of the intensity in the garlic. Finally, I stir in very finely chopped parsley, salt, and olive oil.
Garlic is my best friend when cooking. I'm the type of person that doubles the amount of garlic that any recipe calls for. If we're on the same page, you've come to the right place. If we're not on the same page, I'll still be your friend just use a clove or two less than what I call for.
Smashed potatoes are so versatile. While this lemon, garlic, and parsley sauce is my absolute favorite way to top them, you can get creative with other sauces. I have also topped them with cheddar or parmesan cheese the last two minutes and served without sauce.
These potatoes would be delicious served with my easy marinated grilled chicken.
If you try these lemon and garlic smashed potatoes, I'd love to know what you think in the comments below!
This page contains Amazon Affiliate Link(s), as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
Lemon and Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- 1.5 lb mini gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Lemon and Parsley Sauce
- garlic cloves grated
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice about 1 lemon
- ¼ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with potatoes and a large pinch of salt and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes can just easily be pierced with a fork. Drain.
- Smash the potatoes by placing on a non-stick baking sheet and gently press down on each with the back of a cup, a clean dishtowel, or a potato masher (don't press too hard or they will break apart). Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the bottoms of the potatoes are crispy and edges are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon parsley sauce. Using a Microplane, grate the garlic into a small bowl. Top with lemon juice and stir. Stir in olive oil, parsley, salt.
- When potatoes are done baking, top each potato with a small spoonful of lemon parsley sauce. Serve immediately.