Roasted carrots with pancetta and pumpkin seeds is the perfect side dish for all your autumn meals. It is a simple recipe that comes together in 20 minutes and is packed with sweet and salty flavors.
When carrots roast they release their natural sugars and develop a little bit of sweetness. Growing up, my mom said that roasted carrots were like candy. Whether or not they actually tasted like Sour Patch Kids, my brother and I would eat up every last carrot on our plate. The sweetness of roasted carrots with salty pancetta and earthy pumpkin seeds all pair beautifully together.
To make this recipe, you'll want to grab two baking dishes-- one for carrots and one for pancetta-- and cook both sheets for about 15 minutes. Next, you'll toss the pumpkin seeds on the same sheet as the carrots the last few minutes. Finally, you'll toss all the ingredients together and enjoy!
Since pancetta produces grease, you'll want to place it on a separate baking sheet from the carrots. I recommend lining this baking sheet with foil to make for easy cleanup. If you are in the market for baking sheets, I love my Calphalon baking sheets.
To make this dish easy to eat, you want to use raw pumpkin seeds or pepitas. Raw pumpkin seeds are pumpkin seeds but with the shell removed, making them easy to eat. If you've never had raw pumpkin seeds, they are sort of like large sunflower seeds.
This dish would be a great Thanksgiving side dish (and don't forget the baked mac and cheese while you are at it).
I hope this becomes a staple side dish for you and your family! If you make these roasted carrots with pancetta and pumpkin seeds, I'd love to hear what you think in the comments below!
This page contains Amazon Affiliate Link(s), as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Roasted Carrots with Pancetta and Pumpkin Seeds
- 8 carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup diced pancetta
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds/ pepitas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a large baking sheet, toss the carrots with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for a total of 15 minutes. After about 12 minutes, or when the carrots are beginning to soften, toss the pumpkin seeds with the carrots. Roast for another 3 or so minutes, or until carrots are al dente and pumpkin seeds are just beginning to brown, being careful to not burn the pumpkin seeds.
- Meanwhile, place pancetta on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, or until pancetta is beginning to crisp up, being careful not to burn. Remove from oven and place on a paper towel to drain.
- In a serving dish toss together carrots, pumpkin seeds, and pancetta. Serve immediately.
- Pancetta and pumpkin seeds both burn pretty easily. Be sure to keep an eye on your oven.
Leave a Reply