This grilled avocado with mango and bacon is a fun and decadent side dish or appetizer that your guests will ask you to make over and over again! Grilling avocado adds those delicious grill marks to the creamy avocado and enhances the flavor.
How can I prepare this grilled avocado in advance?
To prepare this grilled avocado dish in advance, you can dice the mango up to 5 days in advance. You can also cook the bacon up to a day in advance and quickly reheat it in the microwave, oven, or stovetop. Since avocados can brown quickly, I do not recommend cutting them in advance. I like enjoying the avocado warm, however, they are also delicious at room temperature if you left them out for up to 30 minutes and waited to stuff them.
What modifications can I make?
If you'd like to add a little kick, you can mix in some finely diced jalapeno. You can make this dish vegetarian and vegan by removing the bacon.
What should I serve grilled avocado with?
This grilled avocado dish is a hearty appetizer or side dish. It would be perfect as a game day snack or as a side dish served with grilled salmon or easy marinated grilled chicken. It would also be delicious served with guava margaritas.
If you make this grilled avocado with mango and bacon, I'd love to know what you think in the comments below!
Grilled Avocado with Mango and Bacon
- 2 avocados
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅔ cup diced mango
- 2 tablespoon cooked bacon chopped
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pits. On the rounded side of each avocado, cut off a ½ inch sliver so that it sits flat. Scoop out about a ½ teaspoon of avocado in the middle of each half to make extra room for the filling. Brush both sides of each avocado half with olive oil and sprinkle with salt a pepper.
- Place each avocado half on the grill on indirect heat. Grill for 2-4 minutes on each side, or until grill marks form and the avocado has softened slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by combining in a small bowl the mango, red onion, bacon, and lime juice.
- When the avocado is grilled, take it off the grill and fill each avocado half with the mango bacon filling. Serve immediately.