This whipped ricotta crostini with honey and pistachios is the perfect delicious and easy appetizer that you can whip up ahead of time. This recipe is perfect for any occasion, from dinner parties to casual gatherings with friends. With just a few simple ingredients, including thyme for an extra burst of flavor, you can create a dish that is sure to impress your guests.
Key ingredients in crostinis with whipped ricotta
- Baguette: I recommend a fresh french or sourdough baguette. I love the look of slicing them on a bias.
- Ricotta: I recommend whole milk ricotta for this recipe (not low fat) to help the ricotta whip.
- Thyme: Use fresh thyme, not dried.
- Pistachios: Feel free to substitute for chopped walnuts or almonds.
- Honey: I drizzle these with honey at the end. Feel free to adjust the amount depending on your preferred level of sweetness.
How to make this appetizer
- Make the crostinis with olive oil, salt, and pepper and bake until golden brown.
- Prep the ricotta by whipping it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until light and fluffy.
- Assemble the crostini with whipped ricotta, pistachios, and honey.
How do you whip ricotta?
For maximum speed and minimum wrist pain, whip the ricotta with a food processor. You can also use a hand mixer or whisk it by hand (note that it will take longer if you do it by hand), but it tends to not get as fluffy these ways. I would not recommend using a blender.
What can I substitute pistachios for?
The pistachios add a delicious extra crunch and nuttiness to this appetizer. If pistachios are not your thing, you can substitute them for another chopped nut, such as walnuts or almonds. To make this nut-free, simply leave off the nuts and they will still be delicious!
How can I prepare this appetizer in advance?
This is a great make-ahead appetizer! The crostini can be made up to one day in advance and stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Whipped ricotta can be made up to a day in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How should I serve these crostinis?
For easy grabbing, you can assemble the crostini up to an hour in advance. If you prefer for guests to make their own, you can leave all the ingredients separate but next to one another and guests can top them however they'd like.
Other appetizer ideas
I hope you love this easy and delicious recipe for whipped ricotta crostini with honey and pistachios that is perfect for any occasion. The combination of creamy whipped ricotta, sweet honey, crunchy pistachios, and fragrant thyme is truly irresistible. Best of all, you can make the whipped ricotta and crostini ahead of time, making it the perfect stress-free appetizer to serve guests. And don't forget to leave a comment below and let me know how it turned out for you. I'd love to hear your thoughts and any variations you might have tried!
Whipped Ricotta Crostini with Honey and Pistachios
- 1 French or sourdough baguette sliced ½ inch thick
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
Whipped Ricotta, Pistachios, and Honey
- 1.5 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoon roughly chopped toasted pistachios
- 2 tablespoon honey
- To make the crostini, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Arrange the baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Brush each slice of bread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Flip the bread and repeat on the other side.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool.
Whipped Ricotta, Pistachios, and Honey
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the ricotta, olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Whip the ricotta until light and creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Taste, adjusting seasoning as desired.
- Gently spread the whipped ricotta on each crostini. Sprinkle with pistachios and drizzle with honey.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can use a hand or stand mixer or whisk by hand (whisking by hand may take longer).
- If you'd prefer for guests to top their own crostini, serve the crostini, whipped ricotta, pistachios, and honey next to each other and allow guests to help themselves.
- Nutrition information is approximate and is meant as a guideline only. (It does not include seasoning with salt and pepper).