I am so excited to share with you my new favorite breakfast-- hash brown and chorizo breakfast casserole! It is cheesy, comforting, and flavorful. This breakfast bake is so delicious that you'll want to have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
This breakfast is perfect for the holidays or for serving company. You can make it the day before and then just pop it in the oven the next morning. Plus, you won't even have to worry about frying up eggs or buttering toast while everyone is hungry and staring at you.
I love serving this breakfast casserole with chorizo. It gives it the perfect level of spice and flavor. If you prefer breakfast sausage, you could certainly substitute it.
If you make this hash brown and chorizo breakfast casserole, please let me know what you think in the comments below! And, as always, I would absolutely love to see that you made it on Instagram by tagging me at @ccs_table.
P.S. for those of you who prefer a sweet breakfast, be sure to check out these cinnamon chocolate chip waffles.
Kitchen gear you'll need a:
This page contains Amazon Affiliate Link(s), as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
Hash Brown and Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil or other mild oil
- 20 oz shredded hash browns
- ⅔ lb chorizo removed from casing
- ¼ cup finely sliced green onion white and light green part only
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1.5 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 tomato diced
- sour cream for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x13in baking dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add hash browns and distribute them evenly in the pan. Cook for 15 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring every 3-5 minutes. Remove hash browns from the pan and add to the sprayed 9x13in baking dish in an even layer.
- Add the chorizo to the skillet and stir frequently while crumbling up. Cook for 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove them from the skillet and drain them on some paper towels to remove the excess grease. Add chorizo in an even layer on top of the hashbrowns. Top with an even layer of green onions and cheddar cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, pepper, and salt until the yolk and egg whites are completely mixed together. Pour the mixture evenly over the hash browns, chorizo, green onions, and cheddar. Top with an even layer of shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese begins to golden and the egg is solidified. Rest for 5 minutes. Finally, top the dish with diced tomatoes and serve hot with sour cream on the side (optional).
- To make ahead, complete all steps up until baking. Cover, refrigerate, and bake half an hour before serving.