Everyone has that one food that they couldn't go without. For some, it's bacon, for others its candy. For me, it's pesto. No joke, Kipp refers to me as the "pesto queen" at least 5 times a week. I have a true love for pesto, and this lemon basil pesto, in particular.
It's no wonder pesto is one of my first recipes going on this blog. I have so many recipes to come that will say "add a heaping tablespoon of pesto [insert link to this recipe]."
My homemade pesto is so flavorful and fresh tasting! I use a combination of 3 cups of basil and 1 cup of arugula (another favorite food of mine) to give it a nice peppery taste. The key to my pesto is lemon juice. Not only does the acidity from the lemon make it stay bright green for days, but it also adds a delicious fresh flavor. Be sure not to skip this ingredient!
I look forward to sharing with you many pesto recipes. In the meantime, consider pairing the pesto with pasta, chicken, salmon, or mozzarella and tomatoes.
Please be sure to leave a comment if you try this lemon basil pesto, I'd love to know what you think! And what is the one food you couldn't go without?
This page contains Amazon Affiliate Link(s), as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon Basil Pesto
- 3 cups basil leaves packed
- 1 cup arugula packed
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes use less if you don't want a slight kick
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Roughly chop basil leaves. Add chopped basil, arugula, toasted pine nuts, parmesan, red chili flakes, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a large food processor.
- Pulse while simultaneously drizzling in olive oil. Pesto is done when it is just combined and ingredients are very small (but not a paste).
- Makes approximately 1 cup of pesto.
- Can be refrigerated in an airtight container with an extra drizzle of olive oil layered on top up to 3-5 days, or up to 3-4 months in the freezer.
Just made this pesto for the 6th time. It is so fresh and delicious . Such a welcome treat on a cold dreary day .💕
Caitlin from CC's Table
Thank you so much! This comment made my day! 🙂
This pesto recipe is a 10! I just loved the hint of garlic and lemon. I will definitely be making again and don't think I can ever go back to store bought pesto. Thank you for sharing!!
Caitlin from CC's Table
Oh this makes me so happy! Thank you so much for trying it! I’m so glad you loved it!